Hanging lining paper
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kinglee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hanging lining paper

by kinglee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi

Just looking for the best solution really as i have spoken to many decorators who all do it differently.

When joining the lining paper do you leave a 2mm gap or but up?, i know lining paper does expand alot but if i leave it to soad for 5mins i should be able to but it together with no gaps?

Someone i spoke to said he always leaves a gap, and fills it afterwards, this just seems like more work to me but i wanna do what looks best.

Another question, i know its recommended to overlap the corners by about 15mm, when dry dies this not show a small lip line?.

thanks for the help

lee

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Hanging lining paper

by theshedman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:46 am

Hi, do not leave a gap between the lining paper or it will just give you more work to do and it will never look right. Just follow the instructions and soak for the time it says and you should be fine. As for the corners just take the first sheet to just around the corner by a very small amount so that it only just goes onto the other wall by couple of millimetres, 5 at most I would say then take the next piece right to it. Make sure that the piece you butt on to it is plumb or it will put the rest of the wall out.

kinglee
Apprentice
Apprentice

by kinglee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Exactly what i was thinking to do.

lee

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:20 pm

Lining doesnt need to be plum. I crossline. Do the top 1st, sometimes the ceiling is off so overlap slightly and trim tight. As shedman said take round corners usually about a fingers width but i over lap the otherside and trim tight. Butt each length tight never leave a gap that someone who cant line who said that lol Every painter i have worked with does the same exept the brush hands ;)

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:26 am

Hi, as JRS says lining paper doesn't have to be plumb but I find it does usually make it easier to hang especially on a long run. As JRS says crosslining is a good idea and if you have any intentions on hanging a face paper over it then it should be done this way. I always ping a straight line to the wall for this when cross lining allowing for any discrepancy in the ceiling then trim the top and as usual make sure to remove any excess paste from ceiling. One thing if you do decide to crossline then concertina the paper and you will find it easy to hang.

kinglee
Apprentice
Apprentice

by kinglee » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi thanks for the reply's

There isn't going to be a decorative paper ontop, its just going to be painted so i will be doing it vertically and plumb lol.

So is it best to overlap an internal corner say by 5ml and but upto it with the next piece starting on the new wall, Or overlap the 5ml overhang and push it into the corner?

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:19 pm

If your measuring for cooking ml is fine lol. 5mm is fine, Good luck

Sarahshatwell
Labourer
Labourer

Hanging lining paper - going horribly wrong!

by Sarahshatwell » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi,
We're hanging lining paper over horsehair plaster (circa 1903). Despite having stripped and rubbed the walls down sized the plaster, the paper starts to fall off when it dries. We thought it might be dodgy wallpaper paste, so bought new- the strongest on the market and have started all over again, however, it is starting to come away again as it dries. The paper is 1200 grade. Thanks

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Use wall adhesive then its stonger, But i cant see why paste isnt strong enough unless you are making it too weak. A normal size bucket more than half full should be very thick and of a consistancy you will need.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:51 am

Another answer could be that the size is just soaking straight into the plaster and it needs another coat or 2 of it just to seal the walls properly. If you want you could always get the walls reskimmed, that way you would have good surface to work off.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 pm