Hardcore, what can I use

Postby boowee » Mon May 12, 2008 2:28 pm

I am digging out and intending to lay a new patio, and understand that on my type of clay soil an amount of well compacted hardcore is required.

What can I use as hardcore and where can I get some, it's not the easist of words to research on the net.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Mon May 12, 2008 6:56 pm

never heard of it.
Hardcore is what you require its quarry waste or sometimes called
You will need to lay it about 50mm thick or more if required and compact it with a plate vibrator, thats the best way to create a firm base for your slabs.
All builders merchants supply it they will usually quantify how much you require and deliver.
welsh brickie

Postby rosebery » Mon May 12, 2008 10:33 pm

If you spell the word h a r d c o r e out with spaces in between the letters then the forum censor won't treat it as being rude!

Then everyone will understand it.

Postby stevenc1603 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 am

If you go to your local builders merchant or quarry and ask for type1 then you should find what you are after.
Progress to next rank:

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!