Hardwood front door
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pug
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hardwood front door

Post by pug » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:24 am

Hi, i have just had a new front door and frame made for my cottage. It is bare hardwood and before it is hung i want to prime it or undercoat it as needed. The finished article is to be white satinwood, what is the best products to use considering it is exposed quite badly to the elements. Many Thanks

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Post by theshedman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi pug, hardwood doors are better off being stained or varnished as paint has a habit of peeling when used on them. I would say if you really want to paint it then use a primer of aluiminium oxide followed by 2 coats of oil based undercoat then 1 or 2 coats of the topcoat. I always use Dulux paints as I find they are quite hardwearing. Good luck with it. Shed.

pug
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pug » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:19 pm

[quote="theshedman"]Hi pug, hardwood doors are better off being stained or varnished as paint has a habit of peeling when used on them. I would say if you really want to paint it then use a primer of aluiminium oxide followed by 2 coats of oil based undercoat then 1 or 2 coats of the topcoat. I always use Dulux paints as I find they are quite hardwearing. Good luck with it. Shed.[/quote]

Many thanks Shed, I would love to stain the door but i live in a conservation area and i dont think the planning officer will be best pleased ?

migwell030744
Labourer
Labourer

Post by migwell030744 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Why don't yyou ask the planning department about what you propose, you might get a supprise. You have nothing to loose, and who knows you might get what you want. After all if you don,t ask you will not find out.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:45 am