Has the Central Heating Pump on my 20 Year old Boiler Broken?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

Ebrownie
Labourer
Labourer

Has the Central Heating Pump on my 20 Year old Boiler Broken?

by Ebrownie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:32 pm

I turned my central heating on today got the first time in a few weeks. It is a 20 year old gas boiler with a Honeywell control panel (I think 2 years old) And a wired thermostat which is also very old. We have recently moved into the house so I have no idea when the central heating was last serviced. The hot water works fine on it's timer and the boiler fires when the control panel switches on.

I put the central heating on for 1 hour today and it worked fine however when I went to put it on again this evening for another hour the panel clicked and there was a loud buzzing sound but the boiler didn't fire. I don't think the problem is with the thermostat because turning it all the way down it clicked off and the buzzing stopped. When I turned it back up to 25 degrees it clicked on again and the buzzing started.

I don't understand how I can have used the heating already today with no issue and now it has suddenly stopped. Could this be the pump?

Thanks