Have you used opw windows? Whats your opinion.
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

31 posts
nike
Labourer
Labourer

Have you used opw windows? Whats your opinion.

Post by nike » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:20 am

Hi, this isn’t exactly a DIY question but I entered home improvement in google and this site was first on the list, so I hope my post is ok. I’m looking for a company to replace some rotting wooden windows with UPVC, I’ve seen a company in my local press (london) called OPW windows, I’ve tried to find some customers opinions on the web but have had no luck. If anybody has had any work done by them, please could you give me your opinion on their work. Many Thanks

jon3179
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jon3179 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:58 pm

If you are referring to OPW Ltd of Walthamstow... then yes, and wouldn't ever deal with them again!!!. After threatening to break legs if we didn't pay all the money up front, and demanding cash (who can lay their hands on 10k in cash these days in 2 hours??) having got all the money by bank transfer we've been left with an unfinished building, heating system that has been broken, and rising damp. Now we were looking for a conservatory rather than just replacement windows.. so you might be better off, and 99% of the work the DID do was of good standard ... so my advice, tread carefully and insist that if they want the work they accept payment by cheque only when you are satisfied with the work. Their salesman was featured on Cowboy Builders... if only we'd seen the programme before we spoke to them! Good luck

Waggoner
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Have you used opw windows? Whats your opinion.

Post by Waggoner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:59 am

It was very demanding update for the DIY. I think that they had a good plan to use and to produce the opw windows. This is might be good to try in my new house.

ashgate
Labourer
Labourer

OPW Windows Walthamstow

Post by ashgate » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Be Careful. Products are nice. stinkers to deal with. They just want to get the deal in writing, old fashioned sign the deal and worry about any problems later. we signed for an expensive job, they then CHANGED the price TWICE just before installation, final total was 30% increase!
we refused and demanded the deposit back. they are NOT VERY GOOD at this, despite demanding the deposit on the day of taking the order! you will wait weeks for your deposit back, and dont expect to speak to anyone past the front desk. We had the cheques in the post syndrome, then when it was collected by hand, they had forward dated it!!! Find another glazing company is my advice if its a big job.

slaterg
Labourer
Labourer

Post by slaterg » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:12 pm

I live near this company and went in to simply make an enquiry. I ended up being totally pressured into signing for a deal with which I was not comfortable. I accept that this is my fault. In the end I agreed in excess of £4,300 for new French windows and a new front door. The front door is dreadful: you can wobble the middle panel with your hand. It's going to be replaced because the door isn't what we ordered and it's what they stuck in in the meantime When I went to the shop to complain, and also to refuse to sign the 'satisfied customer' sheet I was told that they wouldn't get paid unless I did. I also complained that the front door handle was very unstable. The man spoke to me as if I was an idiot saying that it only needed tightening up so what was I complaining about? All the doors to the inside were left open so, after a hard day's work, I've just spent 2hrs cleaning up the mess. Don't use this company. It's high pressure sales of the worst order and the attitude stinks. Also, they took away the original front door with a lovely cast iron knocker on it: thoughtless and inconsiderate.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:02 am

always use VEKA network approved fitters,they are regulated installers and will do a first class job,you pay a little bit more than usual but you get what you pay for.

Chingfordgirl
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Chingfordgirl » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:24 pm

I have used the said company earlier this year for an orangery and full house window replacement. I found the company provided excellent products, great workmanship and was constantly contacted by the office to notify me of the next stages and so on. I therefore would recommend and have even done so and they in turn have placed orders and had a great job done. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion however seems quite harsh that if what has been said on here was true surely you wouldn't just post in a forum like this you would deal with on a private basis. But I guess we all aren't the same!! I would use again and continue to recommend.

Johnnyboy
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Johnnyboy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:18 pm

I unfortunately used OPW. I agreed to have windows and doors fitted onto a new extension and built the extension and openings based around the agreed price. Once built they were contacted to arrange instalation, after waiting and waiting they eventually contacted me and increase the price also by 30% as a previous person mention. I felt I had no choice but to agree as I had an extension which needed to be finished. I then wait another month expecting an instalation date to be confirmed and instead I again get a call but now saying they were cancelling my order because it still wasn't enough money! Anyway even though they agreed to return my deposit they wouldn't do so until I signed their letters which never seemed to arrive in the post or their emails which also disappeared down some black internet hole, when eventually they received my email of course their cheques also would always get lost in the post too. No one would return my calls and there was always limited staff available. Eventually I had to take out a court order before I got my money back. I evenually had my windows and doors fitted by another company who did an excellent job for less than the 1st price I was quoted by OPW! Stay away from OPW they are nasty and rude also and to answer Chingfordgirl's question the reason we post on these forums is to protect innocent people from these cowboys!

Emma28
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Emma28 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:48 pm

guys where are you from? i seek some company to have windows replaced in dorset.

Emma28
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Emma28 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:25 am

what is a good brand then?

Enfieldlady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Enfieldlady » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Stay away from OPW windows & conservatorys Chingford Road. They are conmen and take your money and do NOT complete the work. They have recently changed their name to OPW by Design it is run by the same people they have just changed the Directors name (trading under the same address) We first saw this company being advertised in the Enfield Gazette & Advertiser so we thought it would be a reputable company. WE WERE WRONG. We commissioned the company to install our conservatory from the beginning their was issues with workmen not turning up, materials not delivered. The only time they turned up was to be paid (payments was in stages). After severel weeks of constant promises and lies many many phone calls to a rude (emma - project manager) who would shout at me and then slam the phone down. The surveyor Stewart ensured me the works would be completed but when the day came, calls where ignored and messages not returned. After Three months we were left with two walls and dodgy foundations. We had to commission a seperate surveyor (more expense) who said he was aware of the company and their poor reputation - the work that was done was to a substandard and we have had to engage our own builders to make good their appauling work and finish the work! OPW took all our money and did not finish the job - we are in the process of trying to recoup our monies through the courts and subsequantly they have changed their name to OPW by design. Chingofrd girl sounds like someone who works for the company. Please stay away and save yourself the heartache and inconvenience we have suffered!!!!

Manju21
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Manju21 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Enfieldlady - could you please get in touch?

I have a court judgment aganist them and they have not paid.
My case has been going on for over a year now.

Enfieldlady
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Enfieldlady » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:44 pm

FAO manju21 - Im sorry to hear that! .. I feel it would be beneficial for us to get intouch and anyone else who has encountered OPW.

Manju21
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Manju21 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:47 am

Bailiffs were sent to the property by the Court and there was nothing on site to take / worth any value - I have spent over £700 in court fees now.

jon3179
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jon3179 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Hello
I've only just come across this page and site
Feel very grateful that I have all the walls and glass - although then doors don't fit
they were AWFUL to deal with, as previously mentioned, there were agressive threats to life and limb, requests for cash, no invoice, demands for all the money to finish the job. We have spent about £2000 sorting out the heating that their plumber bodged.

On Friday 10th February the company went into Adminsitration, so any court action against OPW Limited (or bailiffs) is pointless, and although OPW By Design Limited is undoubtedly the new trading name of the company, don't expect any of the guarantees to be honoured....

Wish we;d never dealt with these people!

Channel 5 are currently making a documentary about them in their "cowboy builders" brand, to get involved talk to Ricochet productions

Good Luck!

31 posts
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:42 pm