Having Some Problems Rewiring my Hallway With new Switches

Postby INeedFruit » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Hello

I recently decorated the hall and I brought new light switches to go along with it. I have noticed the wiring is a bit confusing and would love some advice on it. I have three light switches in total. Two for the hall and one for the hall and outside light. I've taken some photos of the wiring before I started but some of the newer switches do not have the same terminals as the old ones.

I've tried different set-ups and it seems that one light switch is the problem but I could be completely wrong! Here are some images:
Attachments
halllightfixture.jpg
Heres the switch.
halllight2evil.jpg
I don't really know how to wire this up with the picture above
halllight1.jpg
This is one of the hallway lights
outsidelight.jpg
This is the outside light/hallway wiring.
INeedFruit
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:30 pm

so where are the pictures from before you disconnected the original swicthes.

Also if you are using metallic switch plates, the switch plate must be tied in to all the earths at the switch.
kbrownie

Postby INeedFruit » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:08 am

kbrownie wrote:so where are the pictures from before you disconnected the original swicthes.

Also if you are using metallic switch plates, the switch plate must be tied in to all the earths at the switch.

Here's the Original wiring. Thanks for your help!
Attachments
Halllightorg2.jpg
Halllightorg1.jpg
Halllightorg3.jpg
This one is for the outside and hallway entrance
INeedFruit
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby kbrownie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:41 pm

The second switch looks like an intermediate switch have you replaced this also and with an intermediate switch? (they are different to the standard two way switches)
kbrownie

Postby INeedFruit » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:32 pm

That looks like where I'm going wrong. I'll order an intermediate switch soon. Thanks for your help!
INeedFruit
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!