HD Distribution Around the House
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wj
Labourer
Labourer

HD Distribution Around the House

Post by wj » Thu May 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Hi All

I have had HD for the last 10 months and very happy with it, however I need the HD signal in other rooms now.

Does anyone know of any systems that distribute HD around the house, the house has CAT 5 wired throughout the whole house - if that helps, I also have CT125 Co-ax running in a number of places.

At this stage I only need one further room for the signal - the main cinema room.

I am happy to buy a second Sky HD Box but don't want to have to pay £10 per month, for a cinema room signal, I will use once a week, if that in the summer. Sky have told me my card will NOT work in 2 HD boxs, this would be ideal.

Any help is welcomed.

Thanks.

Colin

kelly
Labourer
Labourer

Post by kelly » Sun May 27, 2007 11:04 pm

(am not a tv system installer) however a simple way to connect your other tv is to link the co-ax from your cinema room to one of your RF outputs on the rear of your digi box. If you visit the skylink website they show diagrams of how to use the magic eye link (among other things) so you can change channels from your cinema room.
It is possible to use your CAT 5 points using RJ45 to co-ax adaptors.

wj
Labourer
Labourer

Post by wj » Mon May 28, 2007 9:40 am

Thanks Kelly, this will work with a normal television signal but not High Def, someone has since mentioned a system using CAT 5 for distribution, the house has CAT 5 throughout, so this may work. The place that sells it does not have a demo showing it, I am therefore reluntant to buy until I hear report back.

Thanks Kelly, if you do come across anything please let me know.

Colin

Abdul
Labourer
Labourer

Extend HD signal

Post by Abdul » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi Colin

The sky box has HDMI as well as Component outputs (used for HD output).You can use both simultaneously. I would suggest connecting the HDMI port to the closest HD TV and use component over cat5 to reach your cinema room. You can extend both component and HDMI over cat5 (HDMI requires two sets of cat5).
To extend Component Video over Cat5 it will require equipment such as this: .cyberselect.co.

Then you have the issue of remote control. The Harmony 890 universal remote works a treat. The remote can send out signals via RF where it will be picked up by an IR repeater near the sky box

All in all your looking to spend around £600 for the privilege of extending HD Signals.

Now if you wanted to transmit the HD signal from the skybox to more than two location, you would require a HD video distribution amp. For multiple sources you would require a HD Matrix. Hope the info was helpful. If you require anymore help, drop me a line,

Abdul.

ad1974
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ad1974 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:37 am

I know this has been a while since it was originally posted, but did you find a solution?

I took the easy route and carried my HD box to new location and used additional cable runs to feed the signal to it....not very technical, but it works. :)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:47 am