heat resistant emulsion can u get it
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nightscope
Labourer
Labourer

heat resistant emulsion can u get it

by nightscope » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:45 pm

we are having a wood burner installed in our chimney breast, the inset or opening is all rendered and i want to know if i need to use heat resisitant emulsion if so where do i get it from, or is there another type of emulsion that i could use , ur help would be greatly apprteciated. cheers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:19 pm

nightscope,
Suggest you apply nothing until the burner is installed and working, that way you will be able to see if the rendering is going to crack off the wall.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:55 pm

I wouldn't have thought that the chimney breast would have got that hot! Not sure you really need to worry about it. I decorated a house with a woodburner in the living room a couple of years ago. Used emulsion on the chimney breast. No complaints thus far.

nightscope
Labourer
Labourer

by nightscope » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:52 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]nightscope,
Suggest you apply nothing until the burner is installed and working, that way you will be able to see if the rendering is going to crack off the wall.
end[/quote]

the inset of the chimney was rendered with a lime mortar mix if that makes sense

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:04 pm

nightscope,
Rendering (even lime mortar) inside the fireplace recess does not survive very well due to the range of temperatures experienced. Try rosebery's suggestion and use ordinary emulsion - if the rendering crazes you've not lost anything.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Doh! Sorry didn't read the lead post properly. You mean INSIDE the opening.

Ordinary matt emulsion works over standard render with a gas spanish basket "hole in the wall" type fire but the woodburner will generate more heat.

In which case you may need to consider an intumescent paint. You can get these in gloss or eggshell finishes. Eggshell will be as close as you'll get to matt emulsion if thats what you are using on the rest of the walls. Virtually any RAL colour can be obtained so you can match the paint on the exterior of the chimneybreast.

Use your seach engine for intumescent paint to locate manufacturers.

Cheers

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

by rigga » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:36 pm

nightscope, hi read your post. There should not be any trouble using an ordinary vinyl matt emulsion . The only problem you will get is the surface getting dirty, I would not use an intumescant paint as this is used for protecting steel in buildings and will exfoliate when heated (increase in thickness) which insulates the steel, not what you want on a flat wall and also being an oil based paint would be effected more than a water based paint.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:23 pm

You can get intumescent paint for wood, plaster even melamine. Its not just for steel.

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

by rigga » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:09 pm

True rosebery you can. but it’s a retarder not a protector, the finish contains small flakes of mica which with the special resins in the film expand when heated to protect the surface and also give of a flame retardant gas. Not something you would use on a surface that is not likely to catch fire. As we are talking about hot surface and not a surface that is likely to reach a flammable temperature, but I understand your thinking.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:26 am