Heater for Airing Cupboard After Boiler Change - Any Ideas?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Heater for Airing Cupboard After Boiler Change - Any Ideas?

by theshedman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:25 am

Hi all, I am looking for small heater for my airing cupboard. We recently changed to combi boiler and have now lost the hot water tank. We didn't want small rad in there as it would only come on with heating so no use in summer. Seen some on line but wanted to know if anyone had ideas as some don't seem to give out much heat at all. Thanks.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Heater for Airing Cupboard After Boiler Change - Any Ideas?

by ericmark » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:04 pm

There are tubular heaters but do need some protection so can't get completely covered. Often no more than the heat you would get from a light bulb.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:09 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have decided to go for one of the tubular ones and give it a try. Really just want to give it a bit of warmth as the new boiler gives off nothing at all.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:17 am

An airing cupboard as the name suggests uses air and needs to have a flow of air to work the only worry with tubular heater is where there is no air flow and they over heat.

I would put something which ensures nothing can touch the heater. My son used two towel rails with wooden slats between them forming shelves and this worked well. The towel rails were thermostatically controlled and clearly designed to have cloths touching them.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks for that I have now ordered the tubular type so I will give them a try first. They have cut out on them so should not overheat. Will let you know how they work in case someone else wants this type of thing as many will now see their airing cupboards disappear as more people lose the hot water tank.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:34 pm

I have seen so many tanks being replaced of late. All down to solar panels and wood burners in both cases there is a modern need to store energy and storing in water is the easy method.

It would seem the combi boiler is now only used in small houses where room is at a premium larger houses no longer use them they were just a phase which has bin and gone.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 am