Heating a large airing cupboard
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nakbrooks
Labourer
Labourer

Heating a large airing cupboard

Post by nakbrooks » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:06 pm

I have a large airing cupboard - about 2m x 2.5m x 0.5m. It does not house the cylinder and there is currently no form of heating, although CH & H&C pipework runs below it so can easily be tapped into if required. Electrical power is also readily to hand.

I want to heat the cupboard all the year round as efficiently as possible, so some form of dual fuel system seems best, with the electrical element on a thermostat so it cuts in automatically when the CH isn't running and the cupboard temperature drops.

I'm aware of dual fuel towel warmers, but that's too expensive and too snazzy for this purpose. Does anyone know of a dual fuel radiator designed for heating airing cupboards - what do hotels, hospitals, etc, use?

Also, what heat output should I be looking for to heat this size of cupboard (about 2.5cu meters).

Many thanks

Nigel

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

Post by peter the plumber » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:22 am

I think all you need is a cheap 500-watt electric panel heater.

I don’t see the need for anything more.

You could go mad and fit something that is duel fuel but I don’t see the point.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DONFRAMAC » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:33 am

I use a 2 foot long tubular electric heater, rated at 60watts/foot and available from electrical retailers,etc. The brand I have is Philips. You see these items commonly in churches, as foot-warmers;---- ordered up by the number of feet in length that suits the job.
If you get too much heat, a lighting dimmer-switch is available to control up to 400 watts, which I use on a 400 watt oil-filled towel warmer in my bathroom ( the pencil element is designed to cope with much taller airers in the series )
If you want to couple into the central heating, a large range of 300 mm high radiators is available.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 pm