Heating comes on when water is heated regardless of setting!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
orchidcs
Labourer
Labourer

Heating comes on when water is heated regardless of setting!

by orchidcs » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:58 pm

Hello.

I have a Ideal Classic LXFF & FF Gas Boiler that is controlled by a British Gas UP1 controller and a Drayton Digistat1.

Last night I came home from work to find the heating on full belt 28 degrees!

When I looked at the controller the heating was not even on - only the hot water. I turned the hot water off and after a while everything cooled down.

This morning I tested it again. Putting the hot water on and leaving off the heating but the radiators soon went back up to full belt.

The only other bit of kit I can see is a GRUNDFOS SELECTRIC thingy - looks like some sort of powered valve or pump.

any clues as to what may be wrong?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:03 am

Hi 2 possibilities, most likely is Grunfoss selectric thingy which sounds like a motorised valve. If so it will have 3 pipes to it, one bringing hot water from boiler, usually the centre pipe at the bottom of unit, the other 2 pipes take the water either to the heating coil in tank to heat domestic water or to the radiators, the position of the valve is determined by your room & cylinder thermostats, which are enabled by your programmer[UP1].
it looks like the valve has stuck in central heating position so when prog. calls for hot water the flow is going to rads instead, a quick check is to put on HW only and feel pipes leaving v/v only the one to cylinder should burn you! the one to rads should stay cool! Without test gear & know how there isn't much more to DIY, needs local heating co. regards SPARX

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:08 pm

I really wish people who have no idea would not give advise, the Grundfos Selectric thingy is a pump and will either be a UPS15/50 or a UPS15/60 and if this was not working the radiators or the hot water would not get hot. Sounds like based on youe vague description that either your room thermostat or more likly the motorised valve is not functioning correctly. Call out a heating engineer to sort this as you can not identify system components it will be difficult to give a diy solution.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:59 pm

OOOHWA! get you HD ducky, whose answer was more helpful?

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:45 pm

That all depends sparx, if orchidcs spent the day looking for the third pipe to the Grundfos thingy or if they spent five mins to pick up the yellow pages and call a htg engineer.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:33 pm

OK H-D in this case there ain't much they can do but if all we do is say "call eggineer" then why bother with DIY forum? sometimes a clue may well find operator error etc. & not require outside help, BW
SPARX

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:37 pm

Take your point sparx, however if you note I reply almost on a daily basis to many different questions and try if possible to offer a diy solution or put forward a piece of equipment that may solve the persons problem. However in this case when equipment is referd to as thingy and key components could not be found I was of the opinion that this person would be better with trade help rather than over a forum.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1