Heating new kitchen - advice required
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andyman01
Labourer
Labourer

Heating new kitchen - advice required

by andyman01 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:51 am

:) :) :)
Hi there. I'm new to the forum and found it by chance when searching for ideas for heating my new kitchen using the existing combi boiler.
We had the wall knocked out between the dining room and the rather small dingey kitchen. We now have a lovely big living space with more windows and natural light.
The wall had central heating radiators on either side which are no longer required as they are very old and the wrong size for the remaining walls. I think that we will replace them for two new standard radiators (one in each room). The total BTU's required will be approx 6000.
The builder mentioned that there are now efficient fan heaters available which run off the the existing combi gas boiler and can be incorporated into the existing central heating system but can also work independently and circulate unheated air if required. He said that similar electrical systems are expensive to run but the only electrical component of this gas heated system is the actual fan.
He said that he had recently worked at a house which had this system installed and it worked really well and was also inobtrusive which saved space as well as being efficient to run.
I just wondered if anyone might have any experience of this fairly new type of system or know the names of any manufactures where I can find out more about it including the cost. Any info would be appreciated thank you.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:51 pm

You can get plinth heaters - but they're not a new invention.

http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/Smiths-S ... =products#

htg

eggers
Ganger
Ganger

by eggers » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:27 pm

htg eng is right
however i find they not especially powerful or particularly efficient, and can get clogged up very easily because they are effectively a low point in the system.
also ensure your system is not an old one pipe system (it would be unusual but i have seen a new boiler on old one pipe systems before) as they will not function correctly

andyman01
Labourer
Labourer

by andyman01 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:24 am

Cheers chaps. It sounds similar to what the builder described but I'm not sure if it's the same thing. I'll have to check with him again. To be fair, he didn't actually say that it was a new system, but he did say that he has seen quite a few newish houses with it installed. So it was just me that assumed that it was the latest thing.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1