Hedgehog Hole in Concrete Gravel Board
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

Merdeen
Labourer
Labourer

Hedgehog Hole in Concrete Gravel Board

by Merdeen » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Hello

Wondering if anyone can give some advice. We are having a new fence put in this coming wednesday and we will be having concrete gravel boards. I have seen two examples on the internet of holes (square) being cut into concrete gravel boards to give hedgehogs freedom to roam. We had hedgehogs visiting us last autumn and I want them to continue to have access our garden.

One person mentions an angle grinder to do it and the other website getting a contractor to do it. It's also mentioned that sometimes the concrete gravel boards are reinforced with steel - but I don't know how common this is..?

Can anyone give me advice on either the best tool - or what kind of contractor would do this kind of job? Initially I thought the hole could be in the fence however there is a reasonable height differential between our side compared to the neighbours (3-4 inches approx) so I'm thinking a hole in the gravel board (top right corner) might be better. The chap who is doing the fence only agreed to cut hole in fence panel, so not sure if he'll want to even consider this different option... so I might have to do it myself or get someone with the tools to do it for me....

The fencing chap should be around for a good few days as he's doing the back fence of the neighbours either side also, so I've got a bit of time to work out what would be best and how to get it done.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me :-)

see image - that will give you idea of what i'm thinking
Attachments
Picture of what I have seen on the internet regarding hedgehog holes in concrete gravel board - one professionally done, the other DIY with angle grinder
Picture of what I have seen on the internet regarding hedgehog holes in concrete gravel board - one professionally done, the other DIY with angle grinder

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:57 pm