HEIGHT OF CONSUMER UNIT IN TIMBER FRAME FLATS
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pklelectrical
Labourer
Labourer

by pklelectrical » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:28 pm

HI ALL I AM A ELECTRICIAN AND DOING WORK ON SOME TIMBER FRAME FLATS,THE CLIENT GAVE ME A VERY POOR DESIGN TO WORK TO BASICALLY I HAVE TO DESIGN AS I GO ALONG BUT THE CLIENT WANTED THE CONSUMER UNIT UNDERSTAIRS BUT CANT GO THERE AS PER 17TH AND THE PLUMBER GOT HIS TANK IN THERE IF I PUT THE UNIT AT 12OOM OFF FLOOR IN HALLWAY PEOPLE WILL JUST KEEP KNOCKING INTO IT AND WILL GET DAMAGED THE CLIENT DONT WANT IT IN THE LOUNGE OR BEDROOM AND THERE IS NO CUPBOARD ONLY PLACE IT CAN GO IS HIGHER UP ABOVE THE DOOR WAY CAN I DO THIS.PLUS THE DRAWINGS I HAVE IS DATED THE FEB 08 BEFORE 17TH COME IN BUT I ESTIMATED IT AROUND JUNE TIME SO COULD I STILL GO UNDER 16TH EDITION,PLUS I DONT THINK YOU WOULD GET A DISABLED PERSON IN A 1ST FLOOR FLAT SO WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK BEST TO DO MANY THANKS

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:00 am

I don't recall anything in 17th which has precluded the fitting of a consumer unit under the stairs. I know for public building under stairs should contain nothing which may start or add to fire maybe you can direct me to the regulation?
As to Part M and heights I seem to remember it refers to items likely to be used by visitors and the consumer unit is not likely to be accessed by visitors if it was under stairs would not normally be wheel chair accessible.
132.12 and 529.3 refer to access and the note on 529.3 seems to say the me if you mount the consumer unit high it would need permanent steps etc.
The only reference to stairs I can find in BS7671:2008 is 422.6 which is all about public building of special types not houses.
522.3.1 is only regulation I can find referring to water in same area which is just common sense really.
But where is the incoming supply? One would normally install a consumer unit within 3 meters and with the rules on buried cables in walls running cables to a remote location becomes a problem as would likely to need to be SWA also it would need local isolator near to incoming supply as well.
Your working from plans where do the plans place the plumbers tank if that was not on original plans then any reference to pre June will not count.
Sorry not much help I know with any luck Sparx will reply he is likely to have more ideas.
Eric

pklelectrical
Labourer
Labourer

by pklelectrical » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:01 pm

thanku for your reply no there is submains into the flat via isolater the problem i got it is on a 2nd floor flat where there is no wheelchair access so all i need to know if it is ok to position the conumser unit in hallway high level just above the door and that is ok but dont want the nhbc control coming back saying it should be 1200mm off floor where kids can get access to it .

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 pm