HELP - bill problems! (Ferroli Domina 80E boiler)
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
punnybumpkin
Labourer
Labourer

HELP - bill problems! (Ferroli Domina 80E boiler)

by punnybumpkin » Mon May 28, 2007 12:06 am

Hi,

Nobody I know seems to know (and it's probably a very stupid question, but I'm blonde) but does anyone here know if having a boiler ON at all times costs? I live with a couple of friends and we have really high bills. We're with Scottish Gas. We don't have the heating on at all anymore but the hot water is available all the time.

Thanks,

Valerie

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon May 28, 2007 4:22 pm

combi boilers are required to be on all of the time, this is because the whole point in a combi is to have instant hot water. Having the boiler on standby shouldn't cost much, and you should fine your bills cheaper now that the weather is abit better.

Try shopping around for a better deal on your gas and electric I had huge bills off npower and i'm now with EDF and there's a huge difference in price.

I had pre-payment meters installed so that i can see what i'm using, people think these meters are for people that cant afford quarterly bills, but I find it better as I know what i'm using, and i'm sure they rip you off if you pay quarterly. During the winter with EDF I was using about £50 per month for gas, now i'm using about £20 -£30 as the weather improves.

If you still think your using too much, ask for your meter to be checked for accuracy and maybe get a heating engineer to check gas pressure settings on your boiler. [url][/url]

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Newbee » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:28 pm

I wouldn't go the pre-payment meter way as you have no access to discounts, the cheapest way is either online or direct debit and it does pay to shop around for power use some of the switching sites such as uswitch for comparisons. if you are using your heating set the timer to switch it off and on as and when you need it.
Does your home have a attic?, is it insulated?
Are your walls built with a cavity wall that can be insultated?

If you ring 0800 512012 this will take you to your nearest energy efficiency advice centre where you can get advice to help cut your power bills. I work in one of these centre's.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

HELP - BILL PROBLEMS

by DONFRAMAC » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:10 am

I am with the same supplier, and only recently have I been able to force them to re-appraise my direct debits, for dual-fuel. Their prices are now 20% less than my bills were based on. I am now £43 per month better off, and they now re-appraise the DD's every 3 months. I went onto their Price-guarantee 2008 plan, but it is cheaper on-line. I will be staying with this plan, as I shall get £50 refund at the end of next May, as a form of loyalty bonus, and I am guaranteed not to suffer from any rise in prices.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:51 pm