HELP!! Damp Exterior Walls and Rising Damp When Heating on High!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Melly90
Labourer
Labourer

HELP!! Damp Exterior Walls and Rising Damp When Heating on High!

by Melly90 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:03 pm

I really need some help. My husband and I have bought a 70s bungalow that has been empty for approx a year. We have had the heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night for a few weeks before we moved in. We moved in on Saturday and turned the thermostat up to heat the house. Within a day the house was still cold and damp started to rise up from the bottom of the walls on all exterior walls. There have been no signs of damp in the house whatsoever before this!! We turned the heating off overnight on Sunday and damp has gone back down again, and now it has completely gone. How can this be?? We are having a builder out tomorrow who might recommend a damp proof course, it has been suggested perhaps the cavity wall has gotten damp and when we have heated the house it has caused steam? Could it be a case that condensation has caused the damp? We have ordered a dehumidifier to see if that will help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: HELP!! Damp Exterior Walls and Rising Damp When Heating on High!

by welsh brickie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 am

Sounds like a condensation problem, l would install trickle vents in the windows, but to see if it will work, try leaving a window open slightly agar, in the room, first, highly doubtfull if it is rising damp

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:28 pm