HELP! damp proof course
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
femflirt
Labourer
Labourer

HELP! damp proof course

by femflirt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:07 pm

Can anyone tell me is the damp proof membrane supposed to go into the wall or just up to it? and if it is supposed to go into it and isn't how do i repair this? please can someone give me some advice as there is both black damp, wet sand and crumbling concrete in the joins between floor and outside walls

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:49 pm

F,

IDEALY, THE MEMBRANE SHOULD RUN CONTINIOUS TO AND WITH THE DPC FOR COMPLETE SEAL AGAINST DAMP.

IF IT IS AN UNDERFLOOR THAT HAS A SUSPENDED TIMBER FLOOR ABOVE AND THE UNDERFLOOR SPACE IS WELL VENTILATED WITH WALL AIR BRICKS, THEN YOU DONT HAVE A LOT TO WORRY ABOUT.

HOWEVER, IF THE FLOOR IN QUESTION IS THE ACTUAL INTERNAL CONCRETE FLOOR SURFACE, THEN YOU DO HAVE A PROBLEM.

IF YOU CAN SEE A CONTINIOUS SECTION OF THE MEMBRANE AROUND ALL SIDES THEN IT IS POSSIBLE TO BOND A PIECE OF MEMBRANE TO THIS EXPOSED SECTION AND CONTINUE THE NEW PIECE TO THE DPC AND LET IN UNDER DPC AND/OR BOND TOGETHER WITH BITUMOUS SEALER.

USING A BITUMOUS SEALER APPLIED INBETWEEN LAYERS AND MEMBRANE TAPE OVERLAPPING THE JOINTS.

ALDA.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:54 pm