help! heavy pendant shade - potential disaster?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
zeitgeist
Labourer
Labourer

help! heavy pendant shade - potential disaster?

by zeitgeist » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Hello all,

My name's Marie, I'm new here - I have no DIY experience but I hope I do have some common sense...

I have a pendant light shade which has glass crystals attached. The instructions say to hang it by removing the lampholder skirt, attaching the shade to the lampholder, and screwing the skirt back on to keep it in place. So far so standard - only, the lamp shade weighs about 2 1/2 lbs (just over a kilo) - I weighed it in the kitchen scales.

Is this too much weight to hang from a normal ceiling light fitting? it just has a plastic ceiling rose with a cable coming down to the lampholder. I don't want to hang the shade and then it comes down on my head one day bringing a load of plaster with it! :shock:

(I noticed when I removed the lampholder skirt that the little holes for the bayonet bulb are cracked, so I will be replacing that, but reckon I can manage that on my own)

Be really grateful for advice...

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:02 pm

5kg is the maximum weight you can hang on a flex, so it's well within that limit. If the manufactures instructions say it's ok, then i don't see a problem. But definitely worth changing the pendant if brittle or broken.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:53 am

Rose rated at 5kg as 559.6.1.5 but flex table 4F3A 0.5mm at 2kg, 0.75mm at 3kg and 1mm and above 5kg.
Still within limits.
Eric

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:29 am