HELP!!! How do i securely fit upvc sliding sash windows?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
weeman
Labourer
Labourer

HELP!!! How do i securely fit upvc sliding sash windows?

by weeman » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi,
I have recently purchesed some upvc sliding sash/vertical sliding windows for my house. I had them made to measure and made to look exactly as the original victorian wooden sash windows would have looked on my house.

Of course i intend to inform my local building control officer of my intention to install the windows so as to recieve the relevent paperwork ready for when i sell my house.

Now my question is and i hope someone out there can help:-

What is the correct way to fix the windows to the house so that the building control officer will approve them? i have installed many casement windows in the past using frame fixings (long raw plugs and screws) and also using expanding foam. Will the buiding control officer want me to use frame fixings? if so how many? also its not so obviously clear on the sash windows were would be an appropriate place to drill holes for the screws as the are sliding mechanisums running up the sides of the frame

Thanks
Paull

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

fitting sash window

by welsh brickie » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:50 pm

you dont drill the frame you use brackets screwed to the outer frame and are fixed to the wall,make sure there are no bows in any of the frame or they wont work right.
To be honest they are a bit of a pig to fit.
Seek proffesional advice before fitting.

weeman
Labourer
Labourer

by weeman » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Thanks for the advice welsh brickie... Any ideas where i might be able to get the ixing brackets from? or what the are could? so i can try and source them on the internet. Do you reckon that they should have come with the windows? i brought them from a trade place

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

fixing brackets

by welsh brickie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:28 pm

there are brackets you can buy ,but forgot the name.
casement brackets I think but I could be wrong
you could use wall plate straps just cut them to size.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:57 pm