Help identifying artex in new flat

Postby kateedin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:23 am

We've just moved into a flat with (in my opinion) horrible bumpy textured walls and ceilings. I've been reading that these could be artex and contain asbestos. As we're considering attempting to remove this effect, or else plaster over it, I'm looking into asbestos checks. However, before jumping into this I wanted to check I haven't got the wrong end of the stick and was hoping someone could have a look at the photos below and confirm whether it looks like artex is a possibility, or is it more likely to be regular plaster? It isn't laid on very thick.

WP_20160729_10_54_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20160729_006.jpg
kateedin
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

DIY asbestos test kits

Postby lets have a look » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Can't really tell,if it's wallpaper you should be able to peel it off,if it's artex which I have never seen it on a wall you can take it off sealing off the room, using protection and a hoover
lets have a look
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

Postby kateedin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks, definitely not wallpaper. Sorry the pictures aren't great quality. The first seems to most closely fit the description of 'popcorn effect' and the second 'orange peel' from what I've seen online, but no idea what it's made from. I have a feeling the latter is just the plaster, but we've just decided to paint over that anyway as it doesn't look as bad.
kateedin
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!