Help!! - Main Multipoint BF query
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hammer&Thong
Labourer
Labourer

Help!! - Main Multipoint BF query

by Hammer&Thong » Thu May 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi

I had some builders come around to look at some work that needs doing. One builder said that i would need a new combi boiler and another said that it should be fine. The current system is a 'Main Multipoint BF' heater. I think it is linked into a very old gas/heating system.

I need to get a corgi safety certificate but could see no corgi sign on the system. I would really appreciate some feedback on this.

One quote came in at £1600 for a new combi boiler with new thermostat radiators. Is this way off the mark for price?

Thanks in advance

Phil

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 pm

Seems like a fair price, new thermostatic radiators ? or just new valves ?

There wont be a CORGI sign on the system, you can get any CORGI registered engineer to service and issue a gas safety certificate.

The heater will just be a water heater, there'll be another boiler, maybe behind the fire for the central heating - I would imagine anyway.

Combi's are more efficient.

htg

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu May 15, 2008 10:11 pm

PHIL,

WE CAN TALK ALL DAY ABOUT PRICES BUT WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS TO ENSURE THE INSTALLER AGREES WITH YOU ON THE WORK YOU WISH TO HAVE DONE.
(WRITTEN SHEDUAL OR CONTRACT, GUARANTEE AND SAFTY CERT, IF THESE ARE REFUSED, GET ANOTHER INSTALLER).

AS YOU SAY THE EXISTING SYSTEM IS OLD, HAVE INSTALLER MAKE SURE IT IS UPTO THE JOB OF A NEW COMBI BOILER (YOU DON'T WANT LEAKS APPEARING LATER) AND IS FLUSHED TO REMOVE SLUGE ETC. BEFORE THE BOILER IS COMMISIONED.
(DECENT INSTALLER WILL DO THESE THINGS AS A MATTER OF COURSE ANYWAY BUT THERE ARE SOME WHO WILL JUST FIT AND TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN AND GETTING THEM BACK TO REMEDY ANY FAULTS ETC. CAN PROVE DIFFICULT).

ALDA.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:15 am