Help needed, advise on possable poor workmanship!!
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
taylorcez
Labourer
Labourer

Help needed, advise on possable poor workmanship!!

by taylorcez » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi, I am having a two story extension done and the builders have been here two weeks, footings dug, foundations laid, two courses of footing blocks laid so far. I have the following concerns and wondered if anyone could offer advise on if I am being too picky;
1) footings are not parrellel to blocks they have laid, one corner starts at the right of the trench and the other end finishes on the oposit side of the trench, ie there is not 150mm each side of the block.
2) the blocks are not straight and the second layer is leaning over to the right
3) the blocks are not level, all uneven
4) one layer is on the edge of the foundation
5) the foundations are about two feet deep, is this thick enough.

The building inspector has been out to see trenches before filling and he was happy with it.
I am going to tackle the builder Monday but need some facts before doing so. Any advise would be appriciated!!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:04 pm

taylorcez,
Ask the BI to call in and see the standard of the works before the builder fills in around the walls - he will be able to judge whether the work is satisfactory.
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:29 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:55 pm