help needed fitting flue between floors
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamesmith
Labourer
Labourer

help needed fitting flue between floors

Post by jamesmith » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi hope someone can help basically i am installing a flue for an extractor fan and need to extract via the floor into the downstairs utility room i am new to DIY so please excuse any of my "silly" questions

my question is

I have started in a location that is situated out of plan eye sight in the corner of the upstairs floor, once i removed a small section of the floorboards i have encountered what i can only describe as like solid thick SLATE slats ... which would block any extractor hose going threw the floor levels .....

a few inches away upstairs to the floorboard i removed is an old fire place .. i was wondering are these flint slats their to give support to the upstairs fireplace/chimney breast ?

im not sure how far these slats are likely to run, any ideas why they are there or how many are likely to be there ?

i want to avoid these slats without digging up all the floorboards upstairs
to find out where they run if possible :roll:

UPDATE: I HAVE BEEN CALLING WHAT I FOUND FLINT THAT WAS A MISTAKE I SHOULD OF SAID SLATE

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:05 am

It is more than likely that the slates were part of the original fireplace.
They will rest on some 2 X 2 frame, just remove them.
Before you do, check that with them removed you will have access to the outside. It may be best to pick another place to install your fan.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:39 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:33 am