Help needed please!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trollydolly
Labourer
Labourer

Help needed please!

by trollydolly » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:28 am

Hi,

For some time now my outside overflow pipe has been leaking a bit, but in the last few days its become much worse. I havent had my central heating on at all over the summer, but this week when I switched it on, the radiators dont heat up unless I switch the water heater on too. I have 2 switches on it, one for heating and one for water. So when we want heating, I have to switch on the water too which is quite expensive to keep doing when we dont need hot water constantly. Could this all be connected? I am a female single parent and have been ripped off by tradespeople in the past, so I would like to know anything before I call someone out. Many thanks

twgas
Labourer
Labourer

by twgas » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:04 pm

which tank is overflowing, there are usually 2 in the loft, large one feeds the hot water tank and, maybe, the cold taps in the bathroom(s) - known as CWS (cold water storage). the small one feeds the boiler and rads, it's called the f&e tank.

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Sorry you have a poor opinion of trades people through your past experience but the fact is you are going to have to call one out for this problem. I would suggest you call a gas registered engineer as most of us are reasonable people. Check the Gas Safe Register for and engineer in your area and I am sure he will give you a quote for the repair.
There would appear to be a component failure whether it be a pump, motoised valve, programmer or whatever. It will have to be diagnosed and repaired. Being a female single parent I am sure you can do without having your head filled with a load of technical jargon by us and please put aside your fears of rip-off.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1