HELP !! NO HEATING OR HOT WATER
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mich37
Labourer
Labourer

HELP !! NO HEATING OR HOT WATER

by mich37 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:32 pm

Have just had the gas man around but an still without heating and hot water. He has checked the pump which is working fine.
The pilot light is on in the boiler. When I turn the hot water and central heating 'on' from the timer, it sounds as though the boiler is doing its' job. A few seconds after, there is this knocking / igniting sound and then the pilot light goes off.
I have had air locks in my water which has previoulsy affected my heating and hot water but I have cured the problem by running the taps through and bleeding the radiators.
I am replacing and reloacting my boiler (as my existing one is old) but not for another month (the gas man has advised that when I have this done the current problem should resolve).

- Will putting hand over tap and pushing cold water back resolve the current problem ?
- What boiler do you recommend I go for i.e. combi, non-combi, condensing ?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:25 pm

System type ?
Boiler make and model ?

The boiler is overheating - either air in pump or boiler - blockage in heatex or the pump isn't running.

What else did the 'gas man' do ? surley he would have checked more than just the pump ?? if not hope you didn't pay him.

htg

mich37
Labourer
Labourer

by mich37 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Boiler is a Myson Apollo 40 C.

Any ideas on how I can cure the air block ? Will putting my hand over the mixer tap in the kitchen and turning on the hot water then cold to push the air lock back sort the problem out ?

Any ideas ?

Also is it better if the pump is located next to the hot water tank ?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:57 pm

No - that would clear an airlock in the hot water pipes, not the heating.

Try venting the pump, undo screw or nut on front and let the air out.
Vent all radiators, and see if that helps.

If not you need to get a heating engineer out - no the one you've already had. Or get the new boiler installed ASAP rather than next month.

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1