Help On Loft Conversion
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
welshcakes
Labourer
Labourer

Help On Loft Conversion

by welshcakes » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:56 pm

I want to convert my attic for a play room. I have checked all the legal height requirements and there all fine. I have got all my advice and plans to do everything but can't seem to get answers to my first question.

My house is a pre 1960's build and has 4 support beams two on each side from foor to roof. My friend who converts loft's says you can just cut these away but wanted to get more advice.

I can take a picture of them if someone can tell me an e-mail address to forward them to.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:47 pm

No one on this forum can answer this safely without knowing exactly the nature of the beams. Go back to the architect who did the plans and ask him what must be done with them. Loft conversions cary many many regulations with them and it would be a good idea to look at our project on Loft conversions as height restrictions are just the start.

welshcakes
Labourer
Labourer

Got the planning but on a budget

by welshcakes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:01 am

I understand. The plans were submitted for an end of terrace property. Now that I have got the permission the total cost is much more than what I first thought so wanted to lay the floor myself as i am confident of that was just unsure of those four beams. So if advice can be given on that side only is all I am after.

soundant
Apprentice
Apprentice

by soundant » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:04 am

Welshcakes,

The support beams you talk about are probably purlin struts. They are there to support the purlin which in turn supports the rafters - which your roof tiles sit on. These are heavy - heavier when loaded with snow and/or under load from high winds.

If you remove the struts the rafters may need extra support - you may need to put in a larger purlin or a steel (possibly two or more).

This is why you need a advice from a structural engineer or architect who is familiar with the type of house you want to convert.

Good luck.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:55 pm