Help please! Laminate flooring disaster!!
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Supergran
Labourer
Labourer

Help please! Laminate flooring disaster!!

by Supergran » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:09 am

Hello all

I need some help. My daughter has had laminate flooring laid but there's no doubt the fitter was a bit of a cowboy. Her two rooms look fine as does the hallway but the so called professional has left the bits that run into the hall to last and they don't meet. She is now left with an unsightly 2-3" gap at the one doorway and a 3-4" gap at the other. He told her to buy extra wide metal carpet bars and fit those herself. Not quite the look she wanted!!

I'm quite handy myself and if someone could just offer some guidance on how to rectify this, I would be more than happy to have a go at helping her fix this.

Any ideas please?

Supergran :)

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Tell him to come back and sort it out - thats what he was paid for.

In the limit he could cut a piece lengthways and slot it in and although the flooring wouldn't be joined throught the doorway a standard transition would cover up the small gap left.

Don't let him get away with this shoddy workmanship!

Cheers

mr_vampy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mr_vampy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:24 am

Hi Supergran :)

Sorry to hear your flooring problem. Without seeing it, I'm unsure how to best advise. Is it possible for you to take photos and upload them?

mr_vampy

Supergran
Labourer
Labourer

by Supergran » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:18 am

Roseberry......you're absolutely right! He should finish the job he was paid for but sadly, it has become rather nasty. He is simply not interested and my daughter has now told him that she will contact Trading Standards if he doesn't put things right immediately after Easter. At least she has made it clear to him and he has that one last chance so we will see. but we aren't holding our breath. He says 'prove it was me that did the work' ....some people!!

Mr Vampy......thanks for the suggestion of photos. I'll take some tomorrow and upload. Would be very grateful to see what you think.

Many thanks both for taking the time to post.

Supergran

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:59 pm

"He says 'prove it was me that did the work'"

Ah the sort of ah that gets tradsmen a bad name! How did you find him? How did you pay him? Is there a paper trail (quote, invoice, receipt etc).

Theres all sorts of ways of exposing him if you've a mind to.

Cheers

mr_vampy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mr_vampy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Rosebery's idea would only be a temporary solution. Judging by the sounds of it, it may need a complete refit. :(
Were the skirting boards removed, or was trim used to cover the expansion gap around the edges?
Was this "fitter" recommended to your daughter? Definitely sounds like a cowboy to me
I shall wait for the photos and then hopefully advise you on the best way to rectify it.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:23 pm

"Rosebery's idea would only be a temporary solution."

Well I would argue that it nbeeds an expansion gap across a door opening anyway so whats the difference. The threshold could easily match the floor and you'd need to cover up the expansion gap anyway.

Cheers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 am