Help
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Richardsufc
Labourer
Labourer

Help

by Richardsufc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:13 pm

My dining Room light does not light up properly and only shows a slight glow when I turn on (no good in the Dark)

I have checked the wiring connections in ceiling and Bulb socket and all appears to be connected up ok

Question is the house was built in 1976… maybe I need to replace the wire from the ceiling to the Bulb socket as over the years the heavy lamp shade (weight) may of broken the internal wire

Views will be very welcome

Richard

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:37 pm

Those energy efficient bulbs - lol

Have you tried changing the bulb ?

htg

Richardsufc
Labourer
Labourer

by Richardsufc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi htg

Yes I have still no good

I agree the energy efficient bulbs are rubbish.lol

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:43 pm

A faulty dimmer switch could produce the problem you describe, so possibly could a failing light switch.

However, a fault such as this needs to be remedied swiftly because it could be a potential fire hazard as the electricity is being restricted in some way which may produce over heating.

Has the wiring elsewhere in the house been altered just before the fault developed? Are there any other clues?

Frankly, this is a most unusual fault which may be difficult to trace without test equipment. Simply replacing parts is just guesswork and may work, but is more likely to result in spending money unnecessarily.

Richardsufc
Labourer
Labourer

by Richardsufc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:57 pm

Thank you plumbbob....Its is a dimmer switch

I am not going turn the light on until I get a A qualified Electrician now....

Anyone know A qualified Electrician in the Wickford, ******* area ?

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Local help at hand!

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:40 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:18 pm