Help! which order do I do things?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
storrrm
Labourer
Labourer

Help! which order do I do things?

by storrrm » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:41 am

I need to renovate the bathroom but not sure which order to go about it. Do I fit the new suite first then tile, or tile first then fit the suite? I'm thinking the second option but can you partially tile so that you can refit the suite as quickly as possible, then carry on with the rest of the tiling? As you can tell i'm a complete novice. Thanx for any help given. :)

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Fit your suite making allowance for the depth of tiles and the adhesive in the plumbing for the washbasin and the toilet. Also put the bolts from the fitting kits in place for both WHB and toilet.

Fit the bath permanently because you are NOT going to remove it. If its an acrylic bath make sure that the edges along the walls (short and long) are battened to support the edge of the bath - do NOT just rely on the feet. Also ensure it is anchored at the edges firmly to the wall.

Remove your WHB and toilet and tile. Plumbing should inlude service valves for all supplies iaw water regulations so this is easy. Make sure that when you have tiled you have a flat surface behind both WC and WHB so that they sit flush against the wall.

If you are having ceramic or vinyl tiles on the floor you will need to make allowance for the height of the floor as I suggest the WC is finally fitted over the top in case you ever need to remove it. Theres nothing worse than the pan connector not mating up properly or the CW feed for the cistern just failing to connect because this has not been done.

When tiling DO NOT start with a whole tile at floor level. It WILL be uneven. Nail a batten 1/2 a tile height (or whatever fits the tile layout) perfectly level and the tile up from that. If fitting ceramic tiles on the floor do them before the bottom row of wall tiles.

Do the same thing above the bath - batten 1/2 (or whatever - just make sure that the grout lines line up horizontally) tile height above the bath and go up to the ceiling (or however high you are going). Then tile down to the bath keeping a small gap between tile and bath.

Finally do all the grouting at the same time. You can fit, remove, refit the WHB and WC as often as you like in this process.

HTH

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm