Help..wiring in new ceiling light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Smerl
Labourer
Labourer

Help..wiring in new ceiling light

by Smerl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:41 am

The wires coming out of the ceiling in4 separate cables which comprise of the following

1: brown, blue, green/yellow
2: brown, blue, green/yellow
3: brown, green/yellow
4: brown only

The ceiling light has blue, brown, green/yellow

There are 2 wall switches that conrol the light

I got it all wired up but when I turned on the power the lights came on but then I couldnt switch them off from the wall switch

HELP!!!

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Although 1 and 2 seem OK 3 and 4 does not follow what one would expect. “Electrical, Wiring a ceiling rose” in projects section shows what we would expect to see. And “Electrical, replace light fitting” shows how the cables should be routed above the ceiling. In the old colours so Red = brown, Black = Blue, normally no PVC on earth and a Green/Yellow sleeve is added after stripping back. Because the ceiling rose acts as a junction box as well as connecting lamp it’s self it is common to connect the browns to the lamp in error where they should only connect together.
But since your wiring seems to be non standard it is impossible to work out what is wrong without being on site and testing.
Eric

Smerl
Labourer
Labourer

by Smerl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks for your reply...I'm completely stumped with it all aswell...have wired in a good few lights in previous houses with no problems at all!!!

Think I'll be on the phone to the builders.

Thanks again, Cheryl

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:58 pm

Sorry to say “As built” plans are rare with houses and I would not think the builder will help other than sending an electrician. One thought could 3 and 4 be the same cable as two brown and earth cable is available and is the correct cable to connect the switch up with although rarely used. In which case one should go to local lamp and others (all browns left) join together in loop connector.
Eric

Smerl
Labourer
Labourer

by Smerl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:39 pm

Will give that one a try Eric....did speak with builders yesterday as a few other problems still need fixing so they are going to send someone...seems ho I've been waiting over a year for the other bits I'm not holding my breath!!

I'll let you know how I get on and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheryl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:32 am