Help With a Tiny Basement too Small to Tank
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
par
Labourer
Labourer

Help With a Tiny Basement too Small to Tank

by par » Mon May 29, 2017 4:42 pm

We have a small basement measuring 14ft x 4ft. It was originally the coal storage for our Victorian House. We have a dehumidifier in there and take out 5ltrs of water 2 or 3 times a week depending on outside conditions.

It is not a living area but a storage area for paint, drink and odd bits and pieces. We do not want to go to the expense of tanking it.

About 20 years ago we painted the walls with a a paint that was supposed to reduce moisture. On the grounds that it has lasted 20 years I think it has done a reasonable job but it is starting to flake, especially near the cold water pipe.

The walls are brick and over a 100 years old - the mortar is not great.

We think it is time to 'repaint' the basement and am looking for the best product for the job. I am happy with painting but don't want to do a full process of tanking using slurry.

Has anyone got any ideas of an easy to apply product that would reduce moisture and see us through the next decade or 2?

Many thanks for your help.

Nav_312

Re: Help With a Tiny Basement too Small to Tank

by Nav_312 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:29 am

Hi new here so bare with me.

My current basement has already been dry lined before we bought the house and it's been 8 years.

Over time I think there is very minor moisture in certain parts. I'm wanting to keep costs down so trying to avoid tanking etc.

Would re plastering with damp proof plaster be sufficient?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:24 am