help with ceiling fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Danandgeorgie
Labourer
Labourer

help with ceiling fan

by Danandgeorgie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi Folk
I am new on here and a bit dim! :oops:

I bought a cheap ceiling fan together with 3 little lights. I followed the installing instructions. I replaced a standard ceiling rose. There were 2 three core wires in the rose. Upon testing one of them was completely dead. I assumed that was the end of the curcuit so I boxed off the wires securely wrapped them in insulating tape and left them in the loft cavity. The remaining cable I presumed must go to the switch on the wall. A quick test showed the red as live whether the switch was on or off. The neutral wire is live at the switch when the switch is on but still the end in the ceiling is dead. The fan fitting itself has a three connection box. The live wires from both the light and the fan are together in the connector marked "live". There is a neutral and and an earth. Following the instructions I connected live to live, neutral to neutral and earth to earth. The fan and light work perfectly from the pull cords on the appliance but the switch on the wall has no effect at all. This is what the instructions say however it does say you can use a wall switch for the light while leaving the fan to operate from the pull switch. This is what I want. The instructions do not tell you how to do this. I suppose they think you should know or not muck about with it! Can someone please show me how I need to wire the appliance to get the desired effect?

Many thanks

Dan

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58 pm

Why did you disconnect the other cables and stuff out of way?
They are likely to be connected to your switch.
Correct me if I am wrong you disconnected a ceiling rose, on the ceiling rose where 2x3 core cables, I assume by 3 core you mean 2 core and earth.
So what core colours are at the ceiling.
ie red, brown, blue, black, yellow and green and the number in total of each when originally connected.

Danandgeorgie
Labourer
Labourer

by Danandgeorgie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:38 am

Thanks for the response kbrownie

Originally there were 2 wires both 2 core and earth as you say. There were 2 red and two black and 2 green/yellow. I expected to find a black with a red band on it for the switch but there wasn't and only the one red out of all the wires proved to be live to an electrical tester. Switching the switch on the wall made no effect to this situation.

I therefore assumed that one of the wires - 2 core and earth was surplus to requirements and put it out of the way. I retrieved the wire that I had stowed. So I had 2 earth wires that I can combine and send to ground. when I then combined the 2 reds and 2 blacks and connect them to the live and neutral on the fan the fuse tripped despite neither of the blacks ever showing live. I remain confused and would be grateful for any help to sort this out.

Thanks

Dan

Danandgeorgie
Labourer
Labourer

Sorted Thanks

by Danandgeorgie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi

Looking at an old piece of advice from Stoneboy in 2008 I was able to figure what I did wrong and the fan and light now work perfectly. :D

Thanks

Dan

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:09 pm