Help With Salesman
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
babsabout
Labourer
Labourer

Help With Salesman

by babsabout » Thu May 28, 2009 2:03 pm

hi,

joined today as I have finally decided to bite the bullet and start thinking about which double glazing people to come and change the windows downstairs.

the thing is, I know that the man will be eager for a sale and I don't want to come across like a mug!

My main concern is that the new windows should be secure and not able to be broken in through.

Are the more expensive windows safer?

You can understand that I don't want to ask a salesman because the answer will certainly be yes!

What questions should I ask? And what is beading?

Sorry for these simple questions!

Really appreciate your help!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri May 29, 2009 10:33 pm

babsabout,
You question is too wide ranging for a simple answer. It would be nice to say that the more you pay the more secure the windows but this is not the case.
upvc windows are probably the least secure followed by wood and then aluminium. However any type of window not fitted correctly will be insecure, as will windows with locking stays which are not locked.
Bearing in mind that if the T man wants to break into your home he won't care about the amount of damage and will get in one way or another go for the windows which you think look good. Ask you neighbours for recommendations.
end

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

double glazing

by welsh brickie » Sun May 31, 2009 10:07 am

Use a VEKA affiliated company which trains its fitters and conforms to a code of practice and are stringently supervised

scoggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by scoggs » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:58 pm

Get recommendations from your friends or neighbours. Big companies do tend to start thier prices high and will usually drop to at least half of what they first quote. My advice is to ask about and get a local well recommended company to do the work. You will find that they are less intense than the big companies and you would get a better standard of workmanship.

As for security, if someone is that determined to get in they will. But making it harder is what it's all about. Ask the salesman/owner of company for a few samples of the locking systems they use, and again have a good look at friends or neighbours.

hope this sheds some light.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:03 pm