Help with Wiring a Ceiling Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
loyalblue
Labourer
Labourer

Help with Wiring a Ceiling Light

by loyalblue » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 pm

I've just replaced my ceiling rose with a spotlight bar. It's all working fine but the light in the bedroom next door won't come on.

I wired the switched live into the new light and the other 2 live wires I insulating taped up. Should I have joined these two wires?

Ross

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:04 pm

If I am reading correct than yes the Loop line's need connecting together.

mattpark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mattpark » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:33 pm

the wires that you have taped off are the links to the previous and next lights in your lighting circuit. As they are no longer linked the light in the next room is no longer linked and wont work.

Petriburg
Labourer
Labourer

Another ceiling light question

by Petriburg » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:26 pm

I too want to replace a pendant fitting for a single bulb with a spotlight bar. However, the wiring seems to indicate a spur, rather than a loop. The switch cable is readily identifiable with a white cover, the "spur" has a grey cover, but there's only one of these - which is why I suspect a spur rather than a loop.

I wired up the spotlight bar following the instructions in the accomapnying pamphlet and am getting some strange results!

With the RDC switch off and the wall switch on, the spots come on when the RCD is activated. When switched off at the wall, the lights go out, but they trip the RCD when switched on again.

If switched off at the wall and the RCD is switched back on, any attempt to switch on the spots trips the RCD again. :shock:

Any pointers as to what I'm getting wrong please!

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:42 pm

As a stab in the dark I would go for switch wire being connected with neutral and when switched off it works and when switched on it causes a short circuit and trips MCB.

Do I get marks out of 10?

Petriburg
Labourer
Labourer

by Petriburg » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:51 am

[quote="ericmark"]As a stab in the dark I would go for switch wire being connected with neutral and when switched off it works and when switched on it causes a short circuit and trips MCB.

Do I get marks out of 10?[/quote]

I think so! There's a neutral wire in the switch box, screwed into the backing box.

So, if I disconnect that and mask off the neutral at the light end, I should be OK?

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 am

A normal ceiling rose has 4 connections
Earth = Green/Yellow sleeved bare cables.
Loop = Red or Brown according to age
Neutral = Black or Blue according to age
Switch = Red or Brown often though Black or Blue with Red or Brown sleeve which often fall off and so end up being same colour as neutral. However this is the line wire to the lamp.

It is common for the DIY'er to end up putting the Switch Line wire with neutrals and connecting the lamp to the Loop line wires instead which should not be connected to the local lamp at all.

It is hoped you can work out which is the odd wire out and should be connected to lamp line and which should be connected to lamp neutral.

I have tried to lead people through the ringing out procedure in past but it seems to get them in even worse knot.

There is more on my web site http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html does that help?

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm