Help With Wiring a Double Light Switch in Living Room Needed
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
George_Mar
Labourer
Labourer

Help With Wiring a Double Light Switch in Living Room Needed

by George_Mar » Wed May 31, 2017 2:14 pm

Hello,
I am not an electrician but I want to change my light switches and I have experienced a problem as I didn’t take a picture of how they were wired before. Please help.
I have one double switch in the living room which should be connected to the living room light and the bedroom light and a single switch in the bedroom just for the bedroom. So technically, the bedroom light should have a two way switch (I live in a studio flat).
I am having difficulties to wire those. Please help me if you can.
I have attached two pics of the switches and have labelled them.
Many thanks in advance.
George
Attachments
Fin Final_3.jpg

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help With Wiring a Double Light Switch in Living Room Needed

by kbrownie » Wed May 31, 2017 5:51 pm

There are a number of ways of wiring a two way switch and it would be very difficult to say for sure that the original wiring was wired in the standard way.

So really would require some test equipment.

However as there is little chance of causing any great harm, if you proceed carefully, with circuit/circuits isolated we can have a guess.
The two way light for hall, will likely be the set of wires that have the following colours; Red, yellow blue, these are all contained in the same sheath.
The red would go to com or L on both switches, the yellow to L1 on both and the blue to L2 on both. Then the bedroom light would be wired with the remaining red to com/L and the black to L1.
The earths should be remained connected to the backbox, unless you are installing metallic switches, then they must be connected to the switch plate and you must prove that a fault path to earth is present, that would require testing.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed May 31, 2017 9:59 pm

As said the three core and earth the cores go to same terminals on both switches, assuming switch marked com, L1 and L2 the switch wires on the two way goes to L1 and L2 with the non two way switch wires go to com and either L1 or L2.

So two way wired [img]http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/pictures/two-way-real.bmp[/img] another diagram showing same thing [img]http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/lights.bmp[/img]

George_Mar
Labourer
Labourer

by George_Mar » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Many thanks for your advice. I will test it and let you know the outcome.

Have a good weekend

Georgi

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:31 pm