Hiding a Live Light Switch Behind a False Wall

Postby Moggybaby » Sat May 21, 2016 3:57 pm

My lounge has two light switches - one at either end of the room. A recent change of structural lay-out has rendered one redundant. Unfortunately, the redundant switch is the master switch and cannot be disconnected from the ring without a MASSIVE amount of upheaval (large fitted wardrobes & carpet in upstairs bedroom would need to be moved!!).

The master switch is on an external, single brick, wall. The plan is to put up a false wall with insulation behind to make the room warmer & more heat efficient. I don't want the light switch pulled through on the false wall as it will look totally stupid and spoil the overall appearance. I would be happy to tape the switch up with insulation tape in the 'off' position & bury it behind the new thermal insulation - which is totally fireproof btw - and just want to check on the safety / risks of doing so. The current wiring is in good condition. Would it be ok to do this?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Moggybaby
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sat May 21, 2016 8:21 pm

It will not comply with regulations, the regulations lay out safe zones and the zone is safe because we can see the switch. You can have a blank plate that's OK as it marks the likely route of wiring but your not allowed to hide it altogether.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!