Hiding a Live Light Switch Behind a False Wall
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Moggybaby
Labourer
Labourer

Hiding a Live Light Switch Behind a False Wall

Post by Moggybaby » Sat May 21, 2016 3:57 pm

My lounge has two light switches - one at either end of the room. A recent change of structural lay-out has rendered one redundant. Unfortunately, the redundant switch is the master switch and cannot be disconnected from the ring without a MASSIVE amount of upheaval (large fitted wardrobes & carpet in upstairs bedroom would need to be moved!!).

The master switch is on an external, single brick, wall. The plan is to put up a false wall with insulation behind to make the room warmer & more heat efficient. I don't want the light switch pulled through on the false wall as it will look totally stupid and spoil the overall appearance. I would be happy to tape the switch up with insulation tape in the 'off' position & bury it behind the new thermal insulation - which is totally fireproof btw - and just want to check on the safety / risks of doing so. The current wiring is in good condition. Would it be ok to do this?

Thank you in advance for your input.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Hiding a Live Light Switch Behind a False Wall

Post by ericmark » Sat May 21, 2016 8:21 pm

It will not comply with regulations, the regulations lay out safe zones and the zone is safe because we can see the switch. You can have a blank plate that's OK as it marks the likely route of wiring but your not allowed to hide it altogether.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:10 am