hip roof compound angles
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oldwelshman
Apprentice
Apprentice

hip roof compound angles

by oldwelshman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:52 pm

I have trwaled the net to work out how to cut the compound angles on a small hip roof I am going to be putting on a porch.
There is very little on the net other than some mathematical formulas that are on a par with some I did on my engineering degree!!
Is there a simple way of calculating these angles?

climber
Labourer
Labourer

Re: hip roof compound angles

by climber » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:52 pm

[quote="oldwelshman"]I have trwaled the net to work out how to cut the compound angles on a small hip roof I am going to be putting on a porch.
There is very little on the net other than some mathematical formulas that are on a par with some I did on my engineering degree!!
Is there a simple way of calculating these angles?[/quote]

Hi, i have started looking into similar for a roof i am building - i found the following on the 'net - i can't vouch for whether it is any good but maybe worth a look:-

construction-resource.com/calculators/roof-frame.php

cheers

uze
Labourer
Labourer

Re: hip roof compound angles

by uze » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:26 am

oldwelshman wrote:I have trwaled the net to work out how to cut the compound angles on a small hip roof I am going to be putting on a porch.
Is there a simple way of calculating these angles?

I am a Master Carpenter (Welsh), who done all my training in Germany. So I've been taught about compound joinery. Since I've come back to Wales I haven't met anyone who can make Hips, Valleys or Jack rafters. There are ways of calculating, but to someone who's never done it before it can be very complicated. It might be easier to draw the roof and get all angles needed, but same again, if your not practised in the art, it can turn out to be a bit of a headache! Google "saercoediago.com/index.html"

uze
Labourer
Labourer

by uze » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:34 am

Ref Hipped roofs.

I'm a Master Carpenter (Welsh). I done all my training in Germany, where we got taught about compound Joinery, and how to make Hip, Valley and Jack rafter roofs.

Since moving home I havent found anyone who knows how to make hipped roofs. It seems to be a lost art here.

There are ways of calculating Hipped roofs, or drawing them and finding the needed angles, but if your not practiced in the art it can turn out to be a bit of a headache

redfreds
Labourer
Labourer

by redfreds » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:32 pm

uze wrote:Ref Hipped roofs.

I'm a Master Carpenter (Welsh). I done all my training in Germany, where we got taught about compound Joinery, and how to make Hip, Valley and Jack rafter roofs.

Since moving home I havent found anyone who knows how to make hipped roofs. It seems to be a lost art here.

There are ways of calculating Hipped roofs, or drawing them and finding the needed angles, but if your not practiced in the art it can turn out to be a bit of a headache
hi, you can buy a book called ready reckoner, it gives you all the angles,rise and run in inches and millimetres, you may have to order it from wh smith or waterstones,

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:14 pm