Hive single channel install advice needed for actuator
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Brendan88
Labourer
Labourer

Hive single channel install advice needed for actuator

Post by Brendan88 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi!

I need help with installing a Hive single channel receiver to a combi boiler.
My current setup has two Danfoss thermostats controlling the upstairs and downstairs separately. I’ve located which ‘receiver’ is communicating with the downstairs thermostat to replace it with a Hive receiver. When I unscrewed the ‘receiver’ I found that it was actually a Myson MPE222 actuator. Now I’m stuck with how to install the Hive receiver since the setup was not what I was expecting from the Hive instructions.

Any help with how I can install the receiver with this setup will be very much appreciated!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Hive single channel install advice needed for actuator

Post by Mr White » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:44 pm

A Myson MPE222 actuator is an electrically operated valve. It lets water flow or it doesn't let water flow. It is told when to let water flow by other control devices.
As it is a valve you can not change it to a thermostat.
You can control it with your new thermostat (I wouldn't as they cost more money than you will save, unless it controls the boiler directly which yours doesn't)

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 pm

I will guess you have a S type installation. The way this works is the thermostat operates the valve then the valve works the boiler, this way the valve opens before the pump and boiler fires up.

The valve colour code it reasonably standard but the wiring centre is not, so look up s type see if that seems to be what you have.[url][/url]

Brendan88
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Brendan88 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks for the advice. I had a feeling it was going to be a complicated install!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:41 am

First answer did not have diagram of S Plan in front of me, so brown wire from the motorised valves goes to the thermostats, and orange wire from the motorised valves goes to the boiler and pump.

Grey to motorised valve is line to micro switch and blue is neutral, with green/yellow being earth.

So the motorised valve acts as both a valve and relay, your standard S plan will show a programmer you don't need that, as Hive is a thermostat and programmer combined, it also shows domestic hot water and central heating but in your case both valves will run the central heating, personally I would not use Hive, but there is nothing to stop you using it.

A single channel Hive will either work one or other of the valves and not both, if the idea was to use Geofencing then I would have either used a simple relay, or one of the units which will work with wifi TRV heads.

The bees knees is EvoHome, with this the electronic heads control each room and they in turn tell the single thermostat if the boiler needs to run and is so how much heat is required, although it can be wired simple on/off like Hive, it is also able to connect direct to the ebus in enabled boilers, and tell the boiler what output is required.

However it is expensive. Nest and a lot more will also connect to the electronic heads, but the cheaper types do not allow a different temperature to each room, instead it uses a follow command, so with for example Energenie TRV heads either Nest can be set to follow the heads or the heads follow nest and also there is IFTTT so you can set it to follow the weather report for area but still expensive if not as good as EvoHome.

As we go cheaper the problem is how to tell the boiler to run. The Terrier i-temp is about the cheapest programmable TRV head it is not wifi so you set up each head independently and as said problem is how to tell boiler to run, easy way is multi thermostats in parallel I use this one in kitchen and one in hall, if either area gets cold boiler runs, and in my case Energenie TRV heads control the two main rooms, and standard TRV heads control bedrooms.

So much depends on the house, the eTRV is in mothers house a standard British detached house with doors on every room, my own house has no doors between the two main down stairs rooms just an arch, and was originally designed to be heated with a single gas fire in centre of the house. With my house TRV's stop upstairs from getting too hot and a single programmable thermostat controls down stairs very well with a fan assisted radiator (Myson) giving a boost after front door is opened.

My house works so well, yet mother's house was a nightmare, in her house the bay windows catch the morning sun so unless you have really good electronic TRV's the living room over heats.

I say this as some houses don't need EvoHome because of their design, others it is the only fool proof way to control the heating. There is no one system suits all.

So on the motorised valve you want to control.
Grey to Hive Line do not remove any existing wires.
Blue to Hive Neutral do not remove any existing wires.
Link Line to Hive 1
Brown to Hive 3 with no other connection to it.

I will guess you have a Wiring Centre which you will take three core and earth cable between it and Hive.

Please note I have never fitted Hive, I am just reading the info on the Hive wiring diagram and S plan I of course don't know 100% if correct as I don't even know if your using S plan, hence why I have said how it all works in case I am wrong.

Please say how you get on.

Brendan88
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Brendan88 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks for all that info ericmark. I’ll have a look at the wiring system over the weekend with what you said in mind.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:26 am