Hole in Ceiling problem
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dastardley
Labourer
Labourer

Hole in Ceiling problem

by Dastardley » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:07 pm

I`m hoping someone can give some advice on how to tackle this problem. I have a false plasterboard ceiling in my hall with coving around the edges. We had a problem when a fire alarm went off and after checking all the fire alarms in the house found none of these were the ones making the noise......After taking out the batteries of all our fire alarms the alarm was still going. We eventually discovered the noise was coming from the hall.....the ceiling to be precise...Only not the false ceiling.....the ceiling that the false ceiling was hiding.

The joiners had only gone and left the fire alarm on the old ceiling. After listening to this for a few hours and hoping the batteries would go.....(The didn't) I decided to make a 6" hole in the ceiling to stick my hand through and get to the alarm.....I got it and it was problem solved.

Now i have a 6" hole in the ceiling I need to make good.....I don't want to take the section of ceiling down altogether and replace it as i would have to take the coving down and it would mean a lot of hassle. Whats the best and easiest way of filling the hole I have some spare plaster board the same thickness of the ceiling. Any ideas anyone? All advice gratefully welcomed.

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi,

The best thing to do is cut a piece of timber (inch thick or so) 4 inches bigger than the hole, so if the hole is 6" then do it 10", now screw a screw in the middle of the timber that just about catches say 5-10mm into the wood.

Now put the wood through the hole and try to make it so its got 2" on either side of the plasterboard.

Whilst pulling the screw down towards you screw a drywall screw through the plasterboard and into the wood that you just put up, you'll feel it catch and when it grabs it will tighten up (make sure the screw head slightly goes through the plasterboard so when you fill it later it wont stick out), now do the same on the other side and if you want you can put 2 screws in each side to make it more stronger!

Now take the screw out of the middle of the timber but be careful not to put to much pressure on it!

Now all you have to do is cut the plasterboard the exact size and screw that up, you can fibre tape the joins to stop it cracking and skim the hole.

Simples :)

p.s

Dont forget to use inch drywall screws as these are very sharp and thin and will penetrate the wood without to much pressure!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:47 pm

You need to get a length of timber short enough to be able to put through hole and long enough so it will lay over the hole over lapping about 50mm both sides. Then screw around the edge of the hole in the ceiling in to the wood above, holding the wood secure so the screws a tight in to ceiling board and wood.
Then cut some plasterboad the size of the hole, screw that up in to timber above the hole, then on the joints place some self adhesive scrim tape and fill the repair out.
KB

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 pm