home electrics

Postby TelJol » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:25 pm

Hello all,
got a query regarding my electrics, I have a cable that is open ended at the moment and is waiting to recieve my under floor heating and leads back to my RCD board, If that one fuse is isolted at the board but the rest of the board is live would I still be getting a current in this cable? I know this seems a silly question????? thanks in advance!!!!!!! TelJol. :?[color=black][/color]
TelJol
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:16 am

If the breaker/Fuse that is supplying that cable is removed or in the open position, there should be no current being offered to that cable via the CU.
You should always test the circuit is dead before you try anything though!
KB
kbrownie

Postby steve the plumber » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:28 pm

In theory yes, but I would always stick a block on any exposed wires and cover in insulation tape.
steve the plumber
Progress to next rank:
14.7%

Postby sparx » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi, if the reason for asking is because a neon tester/voltmeter shows live it's probably due to induced voltage. Cables running together for a distance say leaving consumer unit can 'couple', there will be no real power there but is why it's recommended to put all 3 cores in 1 connector at load end until needed, likewise any unused cores in a multicore cable should be connected to earth not left 'floating',
regards Sparx
sparx

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!