Home soundproofing
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thedoctor

Home soundproofing

by thedoctor » Tue May 30, 2006 5:28 pm

To post a question for a Diy Doctor tradesman or your fellow users, to answer please click on “New Topicâ€
Last edited by thedoctor on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

carol
Labourer
Labourer

by carol » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:46 pm

i am wanting to soundproof a bedroom wall because i can hear noise from my neighbours. does 12.5mm plasterboard work well or should i use M20 boards? and then plasterboard over the top?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:53 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION.
CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

Donna legare
Labourer
Labourer

by Donna legare » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:22 am

I also want to soundproof my bedroom becasue of my neighbors. What can we do without having to remove the existing wall?

cookie13
Labourer
Labourer

by cookie13 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:05 pm

I can also here my neighbours in my bedroom, there is an exsisting air conduct between the two house, does this affect anything. how can i soundproof?

DavidH
Labourer
Labourer

Understair Server Cupboard

by DavidH » Tue May 01, 2007 9:17 am

I have a small understairs cupboard that I want to put a Dell Poweredge server into. The fans are rather noisy and even with the door closed they can still be heard in the nearby bedrooms. What I would like to do is to be able to soundproof this cupboard so that noise is contained.

The cupboard door isn't tight fitting, so I guess something could be applied to the surround to help stop sound getting out that way. The door is quite thin, probably only about 1.5cm wood - what would be the best product to fix to the inside of the door to help reduce noise?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue May 01, 2007 10:18 am

Go to our soundproofing projects on the website and click into the sponsors banner there. They (CAD) are a great company and will be able to give you some help.

henry2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

by henry2000 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:09 pm

buy a detached!!!!

annbridges
Labourer
Labourer

by annbridges » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:53 pm

I am about to build a new bathroom in a larger room. My preference would be for stud partitions. But how could I best sound insulate these by building something in rather than adding to the outside?

Nimrod
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Nimrod » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:34 pm

Ann,

Stud partition will be fine.

You will need to attend to three things.

Panel resonance, surface mass and damping of the void between the two plaster board skins.

The damping is easy. You fill the void with rock wool batts (don't use fibreglass insulation).

With regards to panel resonance and surface mass they're relatively easy to address too. You simply use a double skin of plaster board on each side of the partition. In doing so make the outer leaf of plasterboard of the double skin thicker than the inner leaf ie the one nearest the stud.

As it's a bathroom you are building it is possible that you may clad the walls with ceramic tiles. If you do then you will increase surface mass even further.

Fit the room with a solid core door (fire rated doors are a good choice) and make sure that it fits well into the opening.

Hope this helps.

Let the forum know how you get on

Nimrod

nambler
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Understair Server Cupboard

by nambler » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:16 pm

DavidH wrote:I have a small understairs cupboard that I want to put a Dell Poweredge server into. The fans are rather noisy and even with the door closed they can still be heard in the nearby bedrooms. What I would like to do is to be able to soundproof this cupboard so that noise is contained.

The cupboard door isn't tight fitting, so I guess something could be applied to the surround to help stop sound getting out that way. The door is quite thin, probably only about 1.5cm wood - what would be the best product to fix to the inside of the door to help reduce noise?

JeffR
Labourer
Labourer

choosing plasterboard

by JeffR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:40 pm

My ceiling was starting to fall so I pulled it down and need to replace it, but am not sure what to use. I removed horse hair plaster which was up to an inch/25mm thick and want the equivalent or better sound resistance. Can anyone recommend the appropriate thickness of plasterboard and/or should I use insulated board (I'm not that bothered about heat, but wouldn't mind if it insulates a bit better)?

bartoneblaze
Labourer
Labourer

Home soundproofing

by bartoneblaze » Thu May 26, 2011 9:22 am

Soundproofing is any means of reducing the sound pressure with respect to a specified sound source and receptor (noise control). There are several basic approaches to reducing sound.When soundproofing, it's important to understand two things- sound is complex and every situation is unique.

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:10 am