Honeywell Optima Compact intruder alarm
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trevtherev
Labourer
Labourer

Honeywell Optima Compact intruder alarm

by trevtherev » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:21 pm

I am in the process of changing an old alarm control panel for the above.I do not want to change the P.I.R's as the rooms have just been decorated and I was hoping for a straight swop.The problem I have is with the P.I.R.sensors.They have 3 wires,black,red and white.The optima manual shows that the tamper wires are wired in series but as the old P.I.R.'s have only got these 3 wires and the shown "honeywell"ones have 6 connectors. Does anyone know how to get around this problem?

Thanks.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:54 pm

All the alarm PIR's I have used had 6 wires.
2 for power
2 for detection
2 for tamper
Either 6 or 8 core cable was used 6 being normal and 8 when two PIR's were back to back.
However with other PIR's for switching lights for example 3 wire is common. So seems you have a cheap system using non alarm PIR's.
Although there may be a way it would involve having no tamper and I would think best option would be to re-wire. There would be no point in changing the box and retaining old system.

Likely you need to re-wire anyway as rules have changed and now to be connected to a monitoring station two zones need to be triggered. This normally means some changes in the PIR positions so an intruder will trigger two PIR's from two separate zones.

The major problem is most people ignore alarms and they are only any good when connected to a monitoring station. But most monitoring people will only allow connection if installed by a NACOSS (stands for National Approvals Council for Security Systems) company. For that reason I don't often install them any more. Although I have installed part systems seems odd but I would contract a NACOSS who would in turn contract me to do some of the work.

Without a monitoring station one may as well just put up the bell box and forget the rest.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Honeywell Optima Compact intruder alarm

by Mr White » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Most PIr's have 6 connections.
There were a few that had built in "iD Biscuits" these did only have 3 wires and could only be used on panels that could see iD Biscuits.

Open a pir and see exactly what you have, it may be you do have removable iD Biscuits.
If your panel is a Karizma / Karizma + then sorry to say there is nothing compatable with them and it will need re wiring. (Often when iD systems were installed they were looped from device to device which was fine then, but not any more)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:30 am