All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
patrick
Labourer
Labourer

hot radiators but no hot water since draining system

by patrick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 pm

PLEASE HELP!
I think I have an open vented CH system with boiler and pump downstairs, hot-water cylinder in bathroom and 2 tanks in the loft.
My radiators keep sludging up and corroding so I have been intermittently flushing them out, and/or replacing them. 2 weeks ago I came home to a new water feature as one of the upstairs rads had burst. I drained the system and replaced that and another radiator and while I was at it removed and flushed all the other sludged radiators. I then flushed and refilled the system and bled the radiators as I have done before without a problem.
When I have done this before it has taken a few days on full heat for the hot water to work until what I have been told is an airlock clears in the cylinder (no bleed valve at top).
I went away on holiday hoping hot water would be there on my return but still no joy 2 weeks later. Also the hot water tap in the bathroom releases no water at all (all other taps work fine). The radiators are all working perfectly - hot house but no hot water.
Another concern is there is hot water flowing from what I assume is an overflow into the header tank and then out through an overflow onto the roof.
Any ideas how I can restore the hot water? how to get the tap flowing?
Why does the system keep sludging? why is it always overflowing?
Would a new system, combi boiler(??) be the long-term solution to all my problems.
Sorry for the essay but it's only by writing it out I've realised how many problems there are!

jan55
Labourer
Labourer

by jan55 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi you could try releasing the compression nuts on the flow and return pipes to your immersion heater. This will help let any trapped air out but you will have to mop up a bit, but it sounds as if you are used to this!
Jan

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 am