Hot water and heating controller problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
roddymcdowall
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hot water and heating controller problem

by roddymcdowall » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:05 pm

I have a thermostat that has cabling running from the thermostat to the controller and I have a ground on the cable. Unfortunately the cable runs through the wall and under the flooring and then back up through the floor to the controller.

It has been suggested that I get a wireless thermostat but I am trying to figure out how that fits in with my current mechanical switch controller that is a combo hot water and heating unit.

Do I hook up the wireless thermostat in conjunction with the mechanical switch controller or do I replace the controller?

Thanks.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:39 pm

There are many types of central heating and many ways to wire each. A simple wireless thermostat has just a battery driven sender and mains powered receiver and it simply replaces the original wired type. Of course with wireless there is nothing to stop it being moved room to room and many both wireless and wired have time control as well.

Add to that the radiator thermostat valve. Then there is combi and separate and honeywell type C, S etc.

So no simple answer.

However more details and some one may give you some answers.

roddymcdowall
Apprentice
Apprentice

by roddymcdowall » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:51 am

Here is some more detail.

I have an Ideal Mexico combi gas boiler with separate Honeywell actuators for the hot water and heating and would also like to replace a thermostat(for heating) and the time clock. There are no TRV on the radiators.

Please advise the best thermostat for me to get to control heating in my three floor home and where to locate it. Please advise which time clock I should purchase that will control hot water heating and central heating.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:41 am