Hot water but no central heating

Postby nicke » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi,
Very ignorant but keen to avoid call out bill if I can fix the problem. I have a Potterton Puma 100 which is producing hot water but no heating. I've bled the radiators but nothing. Please - can I try anything else?
Nick
nicke
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:08 pm

not really - not without knowing abit about boilers.

Check boiler stat is turned up and the room stat is calling for heat. The pressure and pump should both be ok if the water is working.

When you put the heating on does the boiler fire up for a short time ? if yes - put your hand on the hot water draw off pipe, if this gets hot. The wax capsule is sticking and needs replacing. Get a Heating Engineer to take a look.
htg engineer

Postby nicke » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:30 am

Thanks HTGE - I think you may be right - it did flare up and then stop. Then miraculously came on and we're holding our breath that it will hold until the new year - why do these things aways collapse during Christmas? And we'll book someone in then.
nicke
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!