All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
endellion
Labourer
Labourer

hot water cylinder burst --

by endellion » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a gas-fired back boiler with attendant hot and cold water tanks, dating probably from the sixties. A couple of days ago the hot water cylinder has blown a hole and seems to need replacing.
Now there are plumbers saying basically that this can't be done as it does not meet regulations; the whole setup needs replacing, and pumps installed and so forth.
I am on a shoestring budget here and I do not care about hot water being slow. I don't have central heating. Basically, what is the truth about these regulations? (and are there any internet links, I can't seem to find any.)
Any advice much appreciated.

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:31 am

Right we all look at water tanks and if they’re old and not plastic we always recommend replacing them.

But in truth, if they’re not leaking they don’t need replacing. You mite have to re pipe them but its easy to do.

You could have a hard time getting parts for them and if you have lead water pipes, they should be replaced.

The cylinder is a different story; it should be replaced with a new one. Shop around for one and they’re easy to install.

But I would get few other plumbers out to have a look before you spend any money.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:25 am