Hot Water far TOO Warm
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chas
Labourer
Labourer

Hot Water far TOO Warm

by Chas » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:26 pm

I have a CH system with gravity fed hot water ("Indirect system").
However, the hot water to the taps is far too warm, for the safety of grandchildren.
What modification(s) is/are required to limit the water temperature to about 50 deg. C - and what is likely to be the approximate cost ?

Could someone please advise?
Chas

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:09 am

Turn you thermostat down on your hot water cylinder if you have one. Otherwise turn the thermostat down on the boiler.

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:18 pm

the stat on the cylinder should be set to 60degrees, it may have been set above this at some point.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:17 pm

I wouldn't have thought a gravity fed system is fitted with a tank thermostat and anyway, it would not reduce the water temp whilst the heating was on.

If this is the case, and you have a standard gravity system the only way to reduce the hot water temperature without modifying the system is to reduce the boiler stat. You haven't mentioned what make of boiler you have but if it's solid fuel, then you are stuck as is. Of course, the spin off to this would be reduced radiator temperature.

Maybe a zone valve could be fitted in the gravity circuit and linked to a tank stat, but that all depends on your system design. As to cost, well that is difficult as this is not a standard job, and I can't tell what's involved, but I can't see it being done competently for less than £200.

Chas
Labourer
Labourer

by Chas » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks very much for your comments, guys.

No - there is no cylinder thermostat although I believe the (back-up) electric immerser fitted to the cylinder has a thermostat.

Incidentally, the boiler is a conventional free-standing gas-fired one.

But surely, turning the boiler thermostat down would mean cooler water going to the radiators as well?

Chas

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Yes as I said, that is the trade off, but maybe that is not a bad thing, as it will make the radiators safer if a child happens to stumble on one.

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:17 pm

[b]One method of controlling the water temperature at the taps, without modifying the heating system, would be to fit temperature control mixing valves at at the taps. Sinks, Basins, baths etc. The temperature could be controlled to whatever temp you require. The valves come factory set to around 50c and cost in the region of £40 each. Installation is not difficult and would give you peace of mind re children.[/b]

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1