hot water in feeder tank - any advice for me?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scattle
Labourer
Labourer

hot water in feeder tank - any advice for me?

Post by scattle » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:28 pm

Ive seen a few postings about this but wanted to see if anyone had any specific advice for me.

Our system is an old baxi back boiler, with three tanks in the airing cupboard, the copper hot water tank, a large plastic tank full of cold above it then a smaller plastic tank above that. The top tank is now rather warm and causing lots of steam and mould to build up as a result. This is our 2nd winter in the house and it didnt do this last year. What ive done to maybe cause this (could be wrong - no knowledge at all) is i drained both the hot and cold system a couple of months ago when installing a new sink in the kitchen. When filling it back up i noticed the radiators didnt work as well, ive since bled them (lots of air in them and black water came out) and they work better now.

Could i have got air in the heating system elsewhere which is causing this problem or am i way off the mark? Maybe ive blocked a pipe with sludge disturbed from draining the system then filling it up again?

i read somewhere else to turn the pump down, it was on the highest setting of three so ive just turned it down to the middle setting but dont know yet if this will help??

Any help would be great, cant really afford a plumber b4 xmas!

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:10 am

Hi,

Prolly an airlock still, mains pressure backfeed to blow it out?

Hth

scattle
Labourer
Labourer

Post by scattle » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:00 pm

thanks for reply steve

how would i do a mains pressure backfeed?

cheers

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:07 am

Put a cold mains hosepipe onto a hot tap outlet with it open and have someone watch the tank for any action.

Steve

scattle
Labourer
Labourer

Post by scattle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks again steve

il give it a go over the weekend - hopefully it will do the job cos that feeder tank is getting canny hot.

cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1