Hot Water is BLUE !!! HELP - please
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bunny_bt
Labourer
Labourer

Hot Water is BLUE !!! HELP - please

Post by bunny_bt » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:25 pm

I have an open vented S plan heating system with a hot water cylinder. I drained the system added Fernox F3 cleaner to the expansion tank ( NOT the cold water storage tank) Then the system would not fill from the expansion tank so i back filled it from the rads.

All seemed fine

BUT now my HOT WATER is BLUE !!!!!?????

Any ideas what's gone wrong and what i can do to fix it???

Please help i'm desperate for a shower :wink:

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:03 am

Hi Bunny,
Perhaps cos you have backfilled it you have dislodged some gunk :shock:
Keep running it till it runs clear.

Hth

bunny_bt
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bunny_bt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Many Thanks Steve

Think i may still have a problem tho.

Put some old copper pipe into some fernox F3 in boiling water and it turned the same clear Mediterranean blue!! Proving i think that the F/E is feeding the hot water cylinder. Is this normal ?

Bunny :?

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:14 am

Hi again Bunny,

It could be that the coil in your cylinder has pinholed/blown which means a new one!
I think you need a plumber in - ask friends/family for a reccomendation not an emergency one off yell etc.

Hth

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:39 pm

Back filling with mains cold water may have damaged the heating coil in the cylinder especially if it old and in a poor condition - this will cause the DHW and heating water to mix.

How many tanks are in the loft ?

htg

bunny_bt
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bunny_bt » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Thanks for your last post and yes did seek proffesional help - 3 different ones in fact. Two refused to touch the system as it's a legacy system and has been modified many times ( it's a large old house)

A central heating engineer and his electrician have been and replaced the motorised valves and acctuators in the system and supposedly all are working. This plumber too had to backfill the sytem as it just wouldn't feed from the f/e. However i now have a lot of air in the system and the upstairs rads will not circulate correctly. The plumber would not work any longer on this and has told me to sort it myself and ring him in a couple of days!!

This latest guy has suggested, as you did that the pipe through the cylinder may have burst - this was a custom made cylinder 5 years ago would that happen so quickly? However he can't understand that if this is the case why i am getting perfectly clean water out of the cylinder and not dirty rad water.

I still have a sneaky suspision that my cold water tank is feeding my central heating n my f/e is doing who knows what.

Any suggestions please - desperate bunny !!!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1