hot water probs
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

backstreetbob
Labourer
Labourer

hot water probs

by backstreetbob » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:17 pm

Can anyone help I have an erratic hot water system, The water is heated by an old rayburn royal with a flow and return via the hot water cylinder, there is no drain cock on the hot water cylinder but a drain cock downstairs on one of the pipes going into the rayburn, now the problem is every few days the hot water tank rattles ,cracks and bangs terribly and when you turn on the hot water it comes out a dirty red colour and the flow is erratic for a few minutes and then settles down but it takes a day or so before the hot water is clear, in the diagram above it shows a heat exchanger in the cylinder could it be possible that my cylinder being old has no coil inside just the entry and exit for the flow and return also these connections on the cylinder no 3 and 4 are only 6 inches apart! I assume this as there would be no way to fill the rayburn back boiler other than through the hot water cylinder as it has only the drain cock, is it possible I have air in the system cusing this problem and if so what do I do, or is it something more terminal, PLEASE HELP

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:28 pm